Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Freckles: A new family member


Well, kind of anyway. My neighbor invited me to go along with him to the animal shelter to get his new puppy yesterday, and now she calls me Aunt Marte. (Of course she does!)

What a doll! I got to snuggle her on my lap and help her play with her new toys on the way home - she misses the toy occasionally, so I also got to find out what sharp teeth puppies have!

All shelter pups should be as lucky as this one. After we picked her up we shopped for a bed, toys, treats, and the best puppy food the pet supply store could provide.

Today I learned that she already knows her name and comes on the run when called - a smart little twerp!

Next step: to get my dogs and my husband's dog to treat her with a bit more tolerance. They kind of frown on that puppy jumping around stuff.

December is Home for the Holidays Month at animal shelters across the world - so give someone you love a gift certificate to your nearest shelter. Then, as soon as the Christmas noise quiets down, go with them to choose their new companion.

OR... Give yourself the gift of a new friend.

No comments: