Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Did you resolve to lose weight in 2009?


Plenty of people did, and that's probably a good thing - but not for me. My resolution is to gain a few pounds.

But... I did resolve to take some pounds off my pooches.

For a while this early winter I tried getting outside and making them exercise more every day - which meant going for a walk myself. I devised a plan to let them get way ahead of me, then call them back for a minute, then let them get ahead again...

But that only lasted until the snow got deep and the road got slick. Now their activity is limited to going between the house and the shop with my husband or going out with me to feed the horse. Even their usual mad dash down the hill to the creek is curtailed by snow too deep for running. A change in weather could give it a crust and then they'll be off and running again.

Meanwhile, ever since last fall I've been trying to cut back on the food, but I'm not seeing much progress. Guess I need to switch to some low calorie food and/or cut the portions back a bit more.

We never had a doggie weight problem here until Pepper came to live with us. I always left the bowl full and they ate what they needed. But under the influence of a dog who had been starved, things changed.I'm convinced that starving for a while turns a dog - or a horse - into an eating machine. Somewhere in the back of his mind he remembers a time when he was hungry, so eats all he can when he gets the chance.

The exception is Old Roy dog biscuits. When we go to the bank the drive-through teller always gives the dogs biscuits, and Pepper always buries his in the blanket on the seat. No way is he going to eat that.

Anyway... knowing that overweight is no better for dogs than for humans, I'm determined to get some pounds off these pups. If your dog is overweight, you should probably do the same.

No comments: