Thursday, March 25, 2010

Warning for Dog Lovers!

Just got this in my morning e-mail and had to pass it along.

I've picked up stuffed toys at yard sales in the past...but will never do again!


From another list:
Just got this and I know many pick up stuffed toys at thrift shops, for dog toys. Might want to re-think that.


Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick.

When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction. .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control!

It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs.

Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.

Heather Screws
P.R. Director
Saving Pyrs In Need Rescue
www.SPINrescue. org

"If you think you're a person of influence, Try bossing a Pyr around!"

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Flea & tick season returns - beware chemical treatments!

Here come the bugs - and once again we're being warned about the chemical flea treatments that are so heavily advertised.

It bothers me that veterinarians use these so readily when they know (if they read reports) that those chemicals can cause irreparable harm and even death to some pets. I guess it's OK with them and the pharmaceutical companies if it's only a small percentage... but it's sure not OK with me or with anyone else who loves their dogs and cats.

This year the news is slightly better. According to this article from the Health Freedom Alliance, the EPA is finally looking into it, although they haven't removed any products from the market.

While the SPCA defends the medications by saying most of the 44,000+ instances reported in 2008 were "mild," it appears to be a matter of defining the word "mild." Neurological problems and a shortened life span don't sound mild to me. Plus, in 2008 there were 600 reported deaths directly associated with topical flea treatment. How many went unreported?

Since the number of harmful reactions was considerably higher in 2008 than 2007, it would be interesting to see figures for 2009. Since these products are so heavily advertised, pushed by vets, and very convenient, my guess is that more and more pets are being subjected to them.

Last year I wrote this post about finding a new and better flea prevention.

Later I read about a home remedy you can create in your own kitchen, and posted the recipe.

Then in the fall I learned of a different kind of threat from this medication. Read this chilling story about a dog who became fused to her carrier.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

All Kids Should Experience Country Life

This morning I received an e-mail asking for help to spread the word about a worthy project. Here it is, in part:

As someone who is passionate about animals I thought you and the readers of Marte's Doggie Blog would be interested in helping children who also love animals.

The Fresh Air Fund is in need of host families for this summer. Host families are volunteers who open their hearts and homes to children from the city to give a fresh air experience that these disadvantaged children never forget. Even if you can't host a child yourself, just posting a mention of this program would be helpful to spread the word.

I've been to the Fresh Air Fund web site and do think it's something that you might be interested in. If nothing else, you can Tweet about it and help spread the word.

Here's a short video about the program...