Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Get rid of fleas naturally with this home remedy

As you know, two of the natural products listed in the sidebar here are designed to kill fleas and ticks on your critters. After my experience with using a chemical flea killer on poor Pepper, I would never use Frontline or any of the others again.

So, I was interested when one of the forums I read started a discussion about natural flea repellent/killer.

This "recipe" was posted as a spray against mosquitoes.

The lady who posted it said that "This stuff is actually killing the ticks on the dogs.... I'm finding them on the floor, dead or dying, in the mornings. (yuck)"

Add 8 or 9 drops of each of the following essential oils to a 24-oz. spray bottle filled with water.
Tea Tree
Rosemary
Sage (any kind)
Cedarwood
Peppermint
Sweet Orange
Eucalyptus
Citronella
Pine Needle.

Or 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Dogs'll smell lovely (mostly peppermint), and it should work nicely to deter the tiny livestock.

This reminded me that catnip (a mint) is supposed to keep mosquitoes away when planted around the house. I did that and the stuff grows like a bad weed.

Does it work? I don't know. We get a few mosquitoes, but not many. I do know that it does not deter bees!

1 comment:

Sam said...

We also sell an all-natural flea control product that is guaranteed and much less expensive: http://www.heavensentnaturalpetproducts.com/products/flea-free.php

Thanks!