Friday, March 6, 2009

The Belgian Malinois

When I wrote about the sentry dogs at the Boise prison, I said one of the primary breeds used was the Belgian Malinois. I'd heard of the breed, but knew nothing about them, so decided to look them up.

I learned that this was a dog originally bred for herding, but is now known best as a police dog. It's popularity as such surpasses even the German Shepherd.

The temperament is described as intense. A high-energy dog, it needs plenty of mental stimulation and physical exercise. The book described this dog as aloof with strangers and sometimes aggressive toward other dogs and animals. It's protective of both its home and family.

From a distance, I think it could be mistaken for a German Shepherd, with the same body build, coloring, and head carriage. However, the photographs in my book make it appear rather unattractive - with eyes too small and close set.

These dogs would definitely be intimidating to an intruder, as they stand approximately 24" tall.

If you, or someone you know, has one of these dogs, I'd love to hear more about it from your point of view - and I'll bet everyone else would too.

If you enjoy reading about the dog breeds, you might like a copy of the book I use: "The Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds" by Colie. To make it easy, I found the link from Buy.com - where you always save over the Amazon price!







Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds

Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds


More than 150 breeds are profiled, arranged in the general groups as specified by the AKC: Sporting, Hound, Working, Terrier, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding. Information on each breed's history, vulnerability to specific health problems, and more is included, as is a color photo of each dog.














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I owned a rescue Belgian Malinois, they are amazing dogs. I've never seen such intelligence, affection, and capability united into one animal. They learn very quickly and bond very closely. I wouldn't own any other breed now that I have had a Malinois, but they aren't for everyone. They can be desctructive if not kept occupied, their minds need stimulation and their bodies need a of exercise. They aren't good couch potato dogs, but they are amazing animals.

Marte said...

Hi Anonymous!
Thanks for adding your insight here... Come back often, and tell us tales about life with the Belgian Malinois!

Marte