Saturday, January 17, 2009

Let your dog do tricks more often!


When Suzie first came to live with us, she was the only one - so I could spend a lot of time teaching her silly things like roll over and play dead and crawl. She also got really good at balancing a treat on her nose and waiting until I gave the signal to toss it in the air and catch it.

But when you get 3 dogs in the house, it becomes more difficult. They distract each other, and my little Pepper starts to bark at the top of his lungs. I don't know what it is with him - any time someone else gets attention, he barks. You have to tell him to come over for some attention of his own.

Anyway, last night everyone went out for their evening potty run, and Suzie came in first. I asked her if she wanted to play until the others came in, and she got so excited she didn't know what to do first!

We did the treat balancing thing, and then moved to the carpet where she could lay down more comfortably. (Aren't I silly?) As soon as I told her to lay down, she started laying down, almost playing dead, rolling over, and crawling all at the same time. It took me a couple minutes of telling her to pay attention before she'd calm down enough to do one thing at a time.

Did I feel guilty? You bet. I should be playing with her like that every day because she enjoys it so much. Now the trick will be to send Pepper and Ralph somewhere else without them getting their feelings hurt...

No comments: