Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dogs - learning to be properly social


Freckles is a sweet young thing - just 4 months old, and so full of silly. She belongs to our neighbor and we're all working to get my 3 grouches to accept her. Ralph, the "big guy" has decided to just sigh and let her tromp on him - as long as she keeps it down. A well said snarl gets her to back off.

And now, she's decided he's her protector. So if she gets worried, she goes and snuggles up as close to him as she can get. This evening she just laid across his back.

But Suzie and Pepper have no patience at all for a kid jumping on their heads! It went pretty well last night, and I think with a few more supervised meetings they'll all be OK together.

Our neighbor likes to get around the neighborhood on his 4-wheeler, and he's attached a rug to the space in front of him and devised a harness that hooks him and Freckles together so she can lay in front of him and not fall off. When she sits there on the 4-wheeler ready for a ride she looks like the queen of all she surveys!

Meanwhile, I had to laugh today because of a wagging tail. I was listening to Joe Vitale's Money Clearing tape and he said "Money can buy you a good dog, but only love can make his tail wag."

A few minutes later I walked up the stairs to the kitchen and Pepper was laying with his back toward me at the top of the stairs. When I spoke to him, the tail started thumping... and that made me feel super!

Gotta love these canines!

No comments: