Sunday, January 4, 2009

Introducing a new dog to the pack

This time I'm writing in hopes that someone has some good advice.

I wrote you about our new "family member" Freckles. She lives with my neighbor a mile down the road. He'd love to bring her along when he comes to visit, and I've always taken my dogs along when I stop by to see him - but one of my dogs is being a complete pill.

She takes serious offense at that puppy rushing up to say hello, and the other day I was actually afraid that she'd hurt the pup, so I hurried and got her back in the truck.

I don't know if this is a jealousy thing, because she always got lots of attention from this neighbor, or if it's just because the puppy is so enthusiastic. When we did obedience classes there were only 2 dogs out of about 50 that she didn't like - so her normal behavior is to be friendly.

Any good ideas?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

You could try walking them together. Basically just have a friend walk the other dog next to you walking your dog, but not really let them interact. They can smell each other then, but have to really focus on you so they can't focus on each other. When they are a little worn out and have been taking your direction for awhile, try then letting them sniff and see if your dog is more receptive.
Just an idea!

Marte said...

Hi Lauren, and thanks for the comment. I'll have to ask my neighbor how the pup is doing with walking on a leash! She's only 3 1/2 months old and SO excited when she sees another dog. Her first instinct is to jump all over them trying to play.

We may have to wait a little until she's figured out that she needs to pay attention to him. He's making progress on training, but she's really still a baby and her attention span is very short.

We may also have to wait until "outdoors" consists of footing better than ice. Or maybe we could put them both in deep snow so they'd have to focus on that!