Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Americans Consider their Pets Family Members

Half of all Americans consider their pets family members, according to a recent AP Poll. "Only half?" I ask. I would have thought that number was higher. Had AP interviewed me, the numbers would have been skewed in all categories.

Let's see I definitely fit into the single, female category therefore I consider my pets as "full" family members, NOT pets, and NOT part family members. Also, a city girl, my pets are condo pets. No running around in the grass. They're clean, prim and proper.

Next, I dress both my dog AND cat in costumes for Halloween. One year all three were ducks. Since Jean Pierre is a short-hair, orange marmalade, male cat, no additional accessories are needed for lounging around the house. However, when traveling he does sport a regal, red, diamond-studden collar with gold name plate.

Ma Cherie (maltese dog) still wears bows 24/7 and they change with the seasons and for special occasions. Did I mention my pets have their own physical bathroom? Yes, an entire bathroom is theirs. Ma Cherie has drawer full of brushes and bows. And each pet has their bathroom "station". It's true.

In the category of travel, I will go so far as to take my cats on local travel within Florida when I drive my car. They've been to Gainesville, Sarasota, and Key West. Pet friendly hotels are at top of my list.

And finally, yes, each year my Christmas cards must have one pet or all three pets in the photo.

Admittedly, I'm on the extreme end but I adore my pets. The unconditional love is greater than any love in this world. They are happy, playful and comforting no matter if I'm happy or sad.

Since the sudden passing away of my baby boy, Pepe Francois, I'm now looking to adopt another cat. Three is a good number and my family will be complete again.

So do you consider your pets, FULL family members, PART family members, or just plain pets? Tell us by posting a comment! By the way, there is no wrong answer.

Christine from BLOG SISTERS

2 comments:

Beth said...

Our 2 kids (Llasa's) are definitely full time family members! We revel in spoiling them while trying to reinforce that we are the parents (alphas):-)

Marte said...

Absolutely!

At our house the 3 canines - Ralph, Suzie, and Pepper - are treasured family members whose safety, well-being, and happiness are always of prime importance.

They're also like naughty little kids some days. Today Suzie and Pepper are making me run upstairs every half hour or so to see what they're barking about. Twice there really was someone there!

Unlike your condo kids, these are country children who get to run and play in the grass and dirt - so lots of baths are in order.