Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Calming a Hyperactive Pup

You know about my neighbor's puppy, Freckles... She's 8 months old now and as hyper as ever... bouncing off everyone and driving my dogs nuts with wanting to jump on their heads, kiss them, chew their feet, etc.

Yesterday she came to visit out at the shop, and although she was tied to a post, she was being her wild self. Then one of the men got up and set her in the hammock. (Yes, my husband has a hammock in the shop - just in case he needs a nap.)

After moving around a bit too much and dumping herself out, she decided that was a scary place, so when she got set back in the hammock a second time, she didn't move. She whined a bit when my dogs went over to her person to be petted, but she didn't take any chances of falling out again.

I sent my neighbor home with a bottle of Feel5ive - the Bach Flower Essences blend that acts as a calmative. It's all natural - no narcotics and no side-effects - so safe to use. I'm hoping to hear that it was exactly what she needed to calm down and start paying attention.

Feel5ive is usually used for times of stress - for both humans and pets. We use it in animal rescue for critters who come in fearful, depressed, or angry. Humans benefit by taking it when they know they're going into a stressful situation - a visit to the dentist, a job interview, etc.

The reason I thought Feel5ive might help Freckles was a report I got from another friend. I had given him a bottle to use when he needed to take his dog riding in the car - because she always got upset about that. When his dog got over her fear, he still had half a bottle, so he passed it along to a friend of his with a hyperactive puppy.

The report that came back was "Relief!" The pup calmed down and the friend was able to enjoy her company instead of yelling at her.

Let's hope it gives Freckles the same benefit.

1 comment:

Blog Sisters said...

Wow-- 5ive sounds like magic potion. Where can I find some? This past week I've been gradually moving to new condo. Ma Cherie, the dog was restless and non-stop hyper panting the first time and third time I took her there. She was normal the second time. Can't explain it. Anyway, both mmy dog and I could use a chill pill or potion that's drug-free!
http://aboutchristinemichaels.blogspot.com