Friday, August 22, 2008

The doggie blog is Christine's fault...

She said that since I love dogs, and care very much for their welfare, I should have a blog about them. I said I already had too much to do, and I already have a web site about dogs, but...

Christine was right. Especially since there are so many things to talk about regarding dogs. Their good health, proper training, good food, and the joys of having someone around who loves you unconditionally.

I think it was Andy Rooney who said "Most dogs are better people than most people." And he was so right!

Anyway, to kick off this first post, I want to go back to an article I wrote a long time ago - How to Prevent Parvo. I just talked with a rescue worker a few days ago who was afraid one of the abandoned pups they found had it.

Luckily, "all" it had was a bad case of dehydration from being thrown out on a day in the high 90's and left to fend for itself without water or shelter for a couple of days. Once on IV fluids the little guy perked up and is now almost fine.

But that reminded me of other times when we weren't so lucky, and we lost some adorable little lives to the dreaded Parvo.

Parvo is an extremely contagious disease that attacks a dog's gastro-intestinal tract and then moves into its bone marrow. When treated at home, survival rates are .... read the rest ...

While you're there, look around. Then send me a note at writer@marte-cliff.com and tell me what else you'd like to see on that site.

AND... if you have had experience with Parvo, please share here. Too many people treat this deadly disease as if it were trivial, and of course you know it isn't.

Here's to happy pets,

Marte

No comments: